The availability of Flame Detection in combination with e.g. a stationary fire extinguishing installation in wind farms and wind turbines is important for avoiding unforeseen shut downs of wind turbines, caused by fires. It increases the continuity of operation of the wind farm and prevents negative impact of damaged or destroyed turbines: financial, safety and continuity. One should look at a combination of fast detection and a stationary fire extinguishing system, monitoring fire risk in an unsupervised application.
Typical risks for Wind Farms are:
- Lightning hits the nacelle (turbine house).
- Mechanical and electrical failures, combined with up to 1000 liter of hydraulic fluid.
- Many housings of nacelles are made from flammable glass reinforced resins.
- Fires in electrical equipment like transformers, generators, electrical controls and transmission systems.
- Loose or broken electrical connections or the overloading of electrical circuits.
- Overheating of braking systems.
- Rupturing hydraulic hoses, pumps and connections.
Make sure the Flame Detector is aimed at the possible fire risk. The detection distances is a nacelle are very short so detect-ability shouldn’t be a problem. Requirements:
- Good false alarms immunity.
- Resistance to vibrations and shocks.
- High ventilation rates in the nacelle.
- Rugged Non-conductive housing material.
- Simple to install on wind farms.
- Compact non-vulnerable design.
- Able to deal with temperature variations.