Hydraulics e.g. extruders
Many industrial fires are caused by oil spray from a high pressure hydraulic fluid leak. The leak can create an atomized spray that may project up to 40 ft (12 m) from the release point. Pressurized sprays produce small droplets that are ignited at temperatures below the normal flash point.
Typical features for hydraulics are:
- A variety of false alarm sources may occur.
- High ventilation rates may be present.
- Be sure to monitor the drainage areas.
- Sprinklers will have little effect on an oil spray fire but will at least cool the adjacent materials.
- Use the alarm signal of the flame detector for a shut-down of the high pressure pump.
Detector choice: recommended IR3 Flame Detectors.