Aircraft hangars are large, open floor areas with tall roof decks to house high-value aircraft. A fire would cause severe financial losses.
Typical features for Aircraft hangars are:
- Main fire risk is a spill fire.
- Aircraft maintenance activities include several potential ignition sources.
- Large quantities of liquid jet fuel are present.
- Shadow effect by the wings of the airplane should be considered.
- Big heights and distances.
- Combination of sufficient sensitivity, fast response and good resistivity to false alarms is needed.
- Only allowing unfueled aircraft will drastically lower the impact of a fire, but normally aircraft are fueled, for operations reasons.
- The floor area strongly varies from 500 m2 for small airplanes to 20000 m2 for the biggest commercial airplanes.
Detector choice. Recommended: UV/IR or IR3 Flame Detectors.